Is it legal for a foreign student to work part-time during his/her studies in Switzerland?

A student who has been issued a residence permit for study (Permit B) may take employment without a work permit in order to participate in practical training pursuant to the curriculum, and at maximum of 20 hours a week. Students awarded permit L are not able to work during their studies. Otherwise he/she may take employment in Switzerland only on the basis of a work permit, but only outside of school hours and on the condition that such employment does not interfere with studies. Application for any other type of work permit must be submitted to the local regional department of the Citizenship and Migration Office. SBS is not responsible for such action, and will not support students who would like to apply for a work permit. Additional information concerning work permits can be obtained from the Citizenship and Migration Office.