Do I need a visa to come to study in Switzerland and how do I get it?

Before you can start your studies in Switzerland, you have to make various arrangements with regard to accommodation, insurance, entry and residence. The conditions depend on your country of origin/nationality. It is the student, or prospective student’s, responsibility to get information on the entry formalities in due time and make the necessary arrangements.

Entry Requirements
Contact your nearest Swiss embassy or consulate for specific information. You may find more information on the website for the Staatssekretariat für Migration SEM (State Secretariat for Migration SEM):

Student Visas
IMPORTANT: A tourist visa DOES NOT allow you to pursue studies in Switzerland.

Students from EU/EFTA countries and students from other countries (so called third-country nationals) must meet several conditions to enter Switzerland:

You should apply for your visa at least four months before the start of your studies at the Swiss embassy or consulate in your home country.