Dr. Sheena Lovia Boateng
Dr. Sheena Lovia Boateng is an Assistant Professor of Marketing. She holds Doctoral and Undergraduate degrees in Marketing from the University of Ghana and has a keen interest in marketing and also in working in academia. She is the first female to complete a PhD in Marketing from the University of Ghana and is also the founder of the Women in Tertiary Education (WITE) Network, which seeks to provide support for women in tertiary education concerning academic research, family-life and career balance.
During her undergraduate programme, Dr. Boateng was one of three students chosen out of a class of 235 students to pursue an E-commerce and International Marketing programme at the Harstad University College, Norway. In Norway her group research project on the “Influence of colour on consumer purchase intention” won the University’s best thesis award. In 2013, She was upgraded from her MPhil Marketing degree programme to begin a PhD Marketing degree programme at the University of Ghana Business School. She subsequently progressed to become the First Doctoral Student in University of Ghana to present a conference paper and a doctoral consortium paper at the Academy of Marketing Conference (2015), Limerick, Ireland.
Sheena served as a Graduate Teaching Assistant in the Department of Marketing and Entrepreneurship, University of Ghana during her PhD. Beyond her PhD, she has guest lectured in Structural Equation Modelling Techniques for Doctoral Research, Department of Operations and Management Information Systems, University of Ghana. Other invitations for teaching include:
- Guest Lecturer in Online Communication of Corporate Social Responsibility, MA Communications - New and Emerging Technologies class at the School of Communication Studies, University of Ghana.
- Guest Lecturingan MBA class on using the marketing mix (4Ps and 7Ps) in Internet Marketing at the Business School, Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA).
She has published five journal publications, four published conference papers, three book chapters, one working paper and one book on essays in marketing. Since beginning her doctoral career, she has collaborated with other faculty to obtain not less than US $200,000 in research and project funds. These research and project funds have been obtained from organisations including Danish International Development Agency (DANIDA), World Bank and United States International Development Agency (USAID). Her consultancy work includes developing case studies on Ghanaian firms for the World Bank – to showcase innovative Ghanaian Manufacturing firms. She loves to sing and has recorded several songs currently streaming on Vevo and Spotify.
Published Journal Papers
- Ansong, E., Boateng, S.L., & Boateng, R. (2017). Determinants of E-Learning Adoption in Universities: Evidence from a Developing Country. Journal of Educational Technology Systems, 46(1), 30-60.
- Boateng, S.L. & Narteh, B. (2016). Online relationship marketing and affective customer commitment – The mediating role of trust, Journal of Financial Services Marketing, 21(2), 127-140.
- Boateng, R., Boateng, S.L., Awuah, R. B., Ansong, E., & Anderson, A. B. (2016). Videos in learning in higher education: assessing perceptions and attitudes of students at the University of Ghana. Smart Learning Environments, 3(1), 8. http://doi.org/10.1186/s40561-016-0031-5
- Boateng, R., Mbrokoh, A.S., Boateng, S.L., Senyo, P.K. and Ansong, E. (2016). Determinants of e-learning adoption among students of developing countries, International Journal of Information and Learning Technology, 33(4), pp. 248–262. doi: http://doi.org/10.1108/ijilt-02-2016-0008
- Boateng, R., Budu, J., & Okai, S. (2012). E-commerce Capabilities of a Ghanaian Used Car Retailer, Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies, 2(1), 1-13.
Published Book Chapters
- Boateng, R., Arthur, I., Boateng, S.L., Ansong, E., and Anderson, A.B. (2017). Mapping E-Learning in Higher Education. In R. Boateng.(ed). Electronic Learning in Higher Education, Charleston, USA: Create Space Independent Publishing (an Amazon Company). ISBN-13: 978-1973897347: Available on Amazon: https://goo.gl/ZU3SBF
- Boateng, R. and Boateng, S.L. (2016). Enhancing Livelihoods through Mobiles. In R. Boateng (ed). Choices, Changes and Chances – Doing Business in Ghana. (part of the series, Cases for Academic Study). Charleston, USA: Create Space Independent Publishing (an Amazon Company). ISBN-13: 978-1539626299: Available on Amazon: https://goo.gl/hvQO3O
- Boateng, R. and Boateng, S.L. (2016). Teaching and Learning with Case Studies. In R. Boateng (ed). Choices, Changes and Chances – Doing Business in Ghana. (part of the series, Cases for Academic Study). Charleston, USA: Create Space Independent Publishing (an Amazon Company). ISBN-13: 978-1539626299: Available on Amazon: https://goo.gl/hvQO3O
Published Conference Papers
- Ansong, E., Boateng, S.L., Boateng, R. and Effah, J. (2016, January). Determinants of E-learning in A Developing Country, Proceedings of the 49th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Grand Hyatt, Kauai, Jan 5-8, 2016. IEEE Catalog Number: CFP16XXX-USB. ISSN: 1530-1605.
- Boateng, S.L. and Narteh, B. (2015, July). Online relationship marketing and affective customer commitment – The mediating role of trust. Paper presented at Academy of Marketing conference, July 7-9, University of Limerick, Ireland.
- Boateng, L.S. and Boateng, R. (2014, May). Philosophical Debates in Marketing and its Application to Online Relationship Marketing. Paper presented at International Academy of African Business and Development conference, May 26-29, University of West Indies, Barbados. **Nominated for Best Paper Award at the conference with a score of 9 out of 10.
- Boateng, L.S. (2013). Developing a Strategic Model for Online Relationship Marketing, Extended Abstract - Proceedings of the UGBS Conference on Business and Development, April 8-9, Accra, Ghana: University of Ghana Business School.
- Boateng, L.S. (2014). Essays from a Marketing PhD. Accra, GH: PearlRichards Foundation. Available on Google Books: https://books.google.com.gh/books?isbn=9988195656